Monday, January 02, 2006

Some people.

This speaks for itself. I really can't add anything . . .

I happened upon your site as I was browsing the net and find your comments about ear candling very prejudicial and very uninformed. As a practitioner of Alternative Medicine and a person who is Experienced in the Ancient Art of Ear Candling, I would like to let you know that I do not LEAD people to believe that the ear wax has been removed. I Actually cut the candle open so they can SEE what has come out of their ears. Since I have been offering this NON-INVASIVE form of treatment I have been told, time and time again, that the amount of wax they had removed from their ears with the ear candling method FAR exceeded the amount which was removed using your recommended method. Have you ever tried it??? Maybe you shouldn't condemn something before actually testing it. I advise you to stop mis-informing people of things you know nothing about.

. . . except to point you all to this excellent article on Quackwatch or this article at The Skeptic's Dictionary.

'Nuff said about candling, hmm?

D.

6 Comments:

At 11:18 AM, Blogger Terri said...

What a post to stumble upon. I am still wondering why I read an entire post about ear wax, on a blog with a title like this.
But no, this is not hate-mail (sorry to disappoint) - just wanted to say thanks for the chuckle!

 
At 7:03 PM, Blogger Douglas Hoffman said...

There's something out there for everyone, Terri. Thanks for stopping by.

 
At 7:37 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Doug, I found this, and thought you'd be at least amused before being horrified. (shamelessly stolen from Making light
http://www.cmaj.ca/cgi/content/full/173/12/1496

 
At 7:38 AM, Blogger beard5 said...

danged html...
http://www.cmaj.ca/cgi/content/full/173/12/1496

 
At 9:01 PM, Blogger Douglas Hoffman said...

Hey, Beard. Clearly a tongue-in-cheek article (note how a wax impaction is described as "a socially emergent ear condition," and also note the disclaimer at the end). On a more serious note, ENTs dislike irrigation as a technique for disimpacting wax. It's potentially dangerous, believe it or not, and can promote infection.

 
At 9:51 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I dont think i'd want to do the candle up the ear thing..doesnt sound to logical to me, but then again I havent heard of it till now, and so far it's not my bag baby. I'll stick to Q TIPS.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home